Friday, September 18, 2009

Preview of Dazzling - Love for the Unloved one shot

So, as drunkenly promised, here's a small portion of what I wrote for a one shot I've called Dazzling. It's for the Love for the Unloved contest and the premise is that Kate and Garrett met before we read about them in Breaking Dawn. They met in mid-eighteenth century Paris, during Louis XVI's heyday. If it sounds very romance novely, I apologize. :) It was actually inspired by Annie Lennox's version of Whiter Shade of Pale.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Excerpt from Dazzling :
He turned and he must have caught my scent. He started to make his way toward me through the ballroom; steadily, ignoring the humans in his path as if they had been pigeons in the square. The women next to me, the ones who had been discussing him only a moment ago, sucked in a collective breath as he approached them, only to let it out in shared, disappointed huffs when he sauntered past them and approached me.

He took my hand as if we were well acquainted, bowed over it and then turned it in his own exposing my wrist. Slowly, never taking his ebon eyes from mine, he kissed it, slightly flicking the point where my pulse had beaten long ago with his tongue. I raised a pale brow. Well…that was… surprising. And erotic, truth be told. I wasn’t used to men being so forward with me, but for some reason, it suited him.

Without saying a word, he tucked my arm in his and led me around the dance floor, where several couples could be seen promenading and engaging in discreet conversation. I told myself that I followed him out of surprised interest. It was curious for one of our kind to act so directly, especially in a public venue. But truthfully, I was also attracted to him, and that fact made a difference.

“You must forgive my forward nature, mon ange” he purred, not bothering to lean down since he knew I would hear him. “I’m fairly new to this life and I haven’t learned all the social rules. But when I saw you, I simply couldn’t stay away.” His eyes searched mine, looking for something, perhaps acceptance.

I looked away, annoyed with myself for caring what this nomad thought or needed. Who was he to me? “It’s not really de rigueur,” I said in a bored tone. “Even humans don’t drag off women they haven’t been properly introduced to.” I planted my feet firmly and turned to stare at him, ire evident on my face. “What do you want? I’ve no time for the games of a newborn.”

He should have cowered. He should at least have been taken aback. But the arrogant bastard actually smiled! It was a glorious, wicked smile that made my stomach flutter; until my annoyed sensibilities woke up. It was just a smile, he was just another immortal. I should move on before we started to attract attention.

But I didn’t want to move on. I wanted to drag him off and see what other things his mouth could make me want, make me feel. As if he could read my mind, his smile stretched even more devilishly across his face.

6 comments:

Betti Gefecht said...

...ooh *licks lips* when did u say u R going to publisk it??? *taps fingers impatiently*

Danny said...

This will be a great story! You are always good for a surprise! A story in the 18th century will definitely be great! looking forward reading the rest!

One Pushy Fox said...

Betti and Mrs. V. - I'm glad you enjoyed the teaser. As soon as it's finished being beta'ed I'll be posting it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Sounds very interesting, and I can't wait to read the entire story.

Fire Crotch said...

Oooooo...I likey! I must read more!

One Pushy Fox said...

@fragile and @FC, I'm glad you liked the preview. The whole story is up now. :)

 
Blog designed by Twispired Blogdesign using Lily's Cherry Blossoms kit